Monday, February 23, 2009

Toto, I Don't Think We're in Kansas Anymore

So after 52 hours of travel, we finally made it to our hotel here in Chennai. Pretty nice hotel; hardwood floors in my room, big shower, flat-screen TV.
The 2 guys and I that traveled here with went out on the town yesterday. We went to a mall where tons of people were. It was a 30-40 minute drive, so we got to see plenty of livestock and villages. And the smell... it smells about like the south end of a north-bound skunk!

Made it into the office today. This is a pretty cool building. It's good size, too. It's owned by TCS (Tata Consulting Services) and I think I heard that there are around 8,000 people who work here. We were treated to a good lunch, but I heard that lunch runs about 40 rupees, which is probably only about 85 cents, anyways :).

One of my colleagues here was telling me yesterday that 80% of people here in Chennai earn less than 100 rupees (~ $2) a day and something like 60% earn less than 50. Amazing...

The hotel has a free happy hour every day from 7:00 - 8:00 where anything domestic is free. I partook yesterday and am looking forward to this evening's. There's a good group of people here from work and we had a good time yesterday. Oh, and the massage deal. This is pretty neat. Apparently there was a deal negotiated with the hotel that if we stay longer than 14 days, we get a free 60 minute massage every 14 days. Not too shabby.

I feel like there's more I wanted to put in here, but can't remember it right now. Lots of little facts. Like yesterday at a shop we saw a chess set for around $3,300 that had the pieces made out of camel bones. The pieces were extremely ornate. Many of them were elephants and either the king or the queen was one of those get-ups like the big guy in the movie 300 rode around in.

No comments:

Post a Comment